Finally the golf season is underway ! The courses look great but my swing looks bad . Its U.S. Open weekend and everybody is excited to see how our five Canadians will do. Congratulations to our own Lorie Kane who qualified for the upcoming U.S. Women’s Open .
* Speaking of Lorie she and Brett Taylor gave a super two hour presentation on the mental side of golf last Tuesday evening at Holland College . There was a great turnout including a number of player’s trying out for the 2013 Canada Games Team. Everybody who attended will carry some new tools going in to their next round.
* Dallas Desjardins and his assistant John Schurman have the Junior Development program up and running . The Holland College Order of Merit Tour got underway in Summerside last with Tyson Gavin shooting a cool 69 to take the first event . The first three tournaments will determine our Canada Games squad . A special thanks to Holland College who have come on board to sponsor our Order of Merit Tour.
* Many of you may have seen the C.B.C. story about our Golf In Schools program a few weeks ago. This spring Dallas and John introduced over 1200 Island children at 7 local schools to golf . The C.B.C. article was aired across the country and the Association received a ton of comments about this incredible effort . Way to go Dallas and John !
* If you haven’t done so already its time to send in your entry to the 2013 Provincial Amateur Championship. This years tournament to determine our Champions will be held July 6 and 7 at Countryview . In addition to the historic trophies the Amateur is also an opportunity to qualify for Golf Canada’s national championships . The tournament is open to all handicap levels and is a great experience for any serious golfer. Karen and Carl Currie promise to have the course and their new back nine in great shape and as always their hospitality will be first class .
* Discussions are underway with the other three Atlantic provinces and Golf Canada about a new Atlantic Canada Championship starting in 2014. The goal of this new nationally ranked tournament is to bring together the best men , women and senior players in Atlantic Canada . The target date is late August and the plan is to hold it at the region’s top courses with the tournament rotating annually between the four provinces . If everything works out look for an announcement and details later this summer.
* The Association’s programs are now all up and running. In addition to the Junior Tour, the Ron Garrett tour – sorry the King of Club’s Senior Tour has already had a couple of tournaments and the Senior Women’s Tour will be underway shortly. Check the website www.peiga.ca for schedules . Thanks to our web manager , Steven Gamester a new Live Scoring system has been launched . It was used at the Avondale Open last week and by all accounts worked great. It’s a great way to get instant results so look for it at other tournaments throughout the year.
If you haven’t done so already don’t forget to pick up your Golf Canada/P.E.I.G.A. Players Card from your local club so that you can enjoy the many benefits that it offers . The long list of benefits is on the web site – check it out !
That’s it for now. Lets all pledge to play more golf this summer ! Now if I can just get over to my left side like Dave Bowlan showed me .